Changes in Academic Advising Services Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
Updated March 26, 2020
The UCR campus is closed through April 30 in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and instruction will be conducted remotely for spring quarter. There are currently no confirmed cases of COVID-19 on the UCR campus or City of Riverside, but in an effort prevent spread of the disease, a decision was made to close the campus, leading to all non-essential staff to work from home. As a result, CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising services continue to be offered on-line during the campus closure.
We recognize that this is a challenging and unprecedented situation, so we are doing all we can to limit the disruptions to our students’ academic needs while working to contain the spread of the virus as much as possible. As of now, academic advising will be conducted by:
- Email (primary method)
- Zoom (when necessary)
Email will be our primary means for communicating with students. Please check your Student Portal in R’Web for the link to your advisor’s e-mail. If your advisor feels you need further assistance that cannot be accommodated via e-mail, advisors will be using the web-based video conferencing tool Zoom (https://ucr.zoom.us/ ). Here are a few important things to know about this process:
- You do not need a Zoom account to participate in an on-line Zoom meeting
- Advisors will set up the Zoom appointment for students who need them and they will provide students with further instructions about these appointments via e-email
- For video or audio chats through Zoom, a webcam and microphone (internal) on your laptop is required
- Students who don't wish to use their laptops can call in with their phone to join the Zoom meeting by phone only
For quickest response times, please do not call your advisor’s on-campus office telephone lines. Since we’re working remotely, we cannot guarantee quick responses to such messages.
For regular updates on this situation, please check the following websites:
- Updates regarding CNAS advising services: cnasstudent.ucr.edu every Friday at 5:00pm
- University updates regarding COVID-19 response plans ehs.ucr.edu/coronavirus
- For health concerns regarding the COVID-19 virus, students should visit or contact Student Health Services or call 951-827-3031 for assistance
We would also like to remind everyone that there are several steps each of us can take to slow or reduce the spread of germs: (1) wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (sing the “ABC Song” slowly,) or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, (2) cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough or sneeze, (3) clean and disinfect surfaces often, and (4) stay home if you are sick.
We are confident that we will get through this crisis and want to assure all our students that we are still available and ready to assist them as we navigate these challenging times.
Please follow this link for additional information on campus services that remain open and available to students.
We hope you stay safe and healthy by following all the recommended steps to prevent illnesses.
CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Staff