CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center

Forms, Policies, and Procedures


Enrollment Priority in Core CNAS Undergraduate Courses

Currently, the following core CNAS undergraduate courses have priority enrollment policies in effect.  Priority for enrollment is given to matriculated first-time takers, all others (repeaters, extension students) are placed on or moved to waitlists if no seats are available.  The enrollment manager in the host Department for the course can inform you of the current status of any particular class in regard to these policies.

BIOL Courses

CHEM Courses

MATH Courses

PHYS Courses

STAT Courses

BIOL 002


MATH 004


STAT 048

BIOL 003


MATH 005












STAT 104





STAT 127






BIOL 010





BIOL 030





BIOL 034





BIOL 040


MATH 011



BIOL 102


MATH 015





MATH 022





MATH 046




A description of the regulations of the University of California Academic Senate (system wide), the UC Riverside Academic Senate can be found in the UCR General Catalog. They can also be found in the CNAS Undergraduate Student Handbook.

Exceptions to CNAS policies, procedures and regulations must be made in writing to the CNAS Divisional Dean of Student Affairs.  Students need to submit petitions to the CNAS Divisional Dean in person at our office at 1223 Pierce Hall.

Academic Advising Center Forms

Appeal of Disqualification

Disqualification Review Petition

Students who are placed on Subject to Disqualification (STD) are in danger of being disqualified from UCR. However, usually a student must be on STD for two or more quarters before actually receiving a letter of disqualification. In rare instances, a student who is not making adequate progress towards a degree may be disqualified even though not on STD status. Furthermore, current CNAS policy dictates that Academic Disqualification may occur when a student's Grade Point Balance falls below -10.0. Students with an even lower Balance of -20.0 or less will automatically receive a letter of disqualification from the Divisional Dean. For those students with a slightly higher balance, other factors like repeat units available for grade replacement credit and total units completed may be considered in the disqualification decision. In the event of an Academic Disqualification, CNAS students have the right to appeal the decision and to meet with the Divisional Dean to discuss the reasons for the appeal. Failure to meet the terms of a College Final Contract will result in Academic Disqualification, regardless of the student's Grade Point Balance.

Application for Readmission

Application for Readmission Form

Students who have been absent from UCR for one or more quarters will need to apply for readmission to UCR through their college office.

Students who have withdrawn from the previous quarter may also need to readmit to the campus. Please contact our office for more information. Sometimes students need to submit transcripts from other colleges and universities to support their eligibility to readmit to UCR. If a transcript is required to complete the readmission review, the readmission application should be submitted on time, even if the student has not yet completed the course(s) they are enrolled in and the transcripts are not yet available.

Declaring a Double Major

A declaration of a second major must be filed at the CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center at least two quarters before graduation and approved by both academic major advisors and the divisional dean of CNAS Student Academic Affairs. At the time of filing, a student must have completed 120 units, with at least 18 upper-division units in the primary major and at least 8 upper-division units in the secondary major. Of the required upper-division units, a minimum of 24 (no more than 4 of which can be 190-199 courses) must be unique to each major. A student must also be in good academic standing, with cumulative and upper-division major GPAs of 2.7 or higher in each major and be able to complete both majors without exceeding the 216 unit college maximum. A student may elect a second major in a department or interdepartmental group of another college. A declaration of such a second major must be signed by the divisional dean of CNAS Student Academic Affairs and the Divisional dean of the other college and filed by the student with the primary college. A student will meet requirements of both primary and secondary majors and the college breadth requirements of the primary major if they are both in the same baccalaureate class. If the two majors lead to different degrees (B.S. and B.A.), that fact will be noted on the transcript, but only one diploma indicating both degree designations will be issued upon successful completion of such a program. Furthermore, if the double major is a mixed B.S./B.A., the college breadth requirements for both majors must be met.

Declaring a Minor

The College offers minor programs. Each minor consists of not fewer than 20 units nor more than 28 units of organized upper-division courses. No more than 4 units of 190-199 courses may be used in fulfilling the upper-division unit requirement for a minor. A minimum of 16 units must be unique to the minor and may not be used to satisfy major requirements. Students must earn at least a ā€œCā€ grade in each course used to satisfy the minor requirements.  The department, program, or interdisciplinary committee offering the minor is responsible for student and administrative issues pertaining to the minor. Students must file a Declaration of a Minor Form with the CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center at least two quarters before graduation and must be in good academic standing (G.P.A. > 2.0) at the time of filing. A minor requires the signature of the department chair or chair of the faculty committee which supervises the minor and the signature of CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center.

Major Change

Students may change majors if they are in good standing (G.P.A. >2.0) and will not exceed the unit limitation of 216 units toward the degree. Students can petition to change their major within the college or transfer from another college to the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences. Students interested in transferring to the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences should consult with an advisor in the major department regarding specific prerequisite courses*.  Students who have attained junior standing are reviewed for course coverage and grade point average for the new major.

Students who fail to attain a grade point average of 2.00 ("C") in preparation for the major or major courses may be denied the privilege of entering or continuing in that major.

*Students are encouraged to review the criteria for the major they are interested in transferring into prior to meeting with a major advisor.

Part Time Fee Waiver

Part-time study (less than 12 units) is available to undergraduate students who find it difficult to enroll full time because of health problems, family and home responsibilities, or occupational and financial need. Students undertaking an approved course load of 10 units or fewer in any quarter receive a 50 percent reduction in the Educational Fee for that quarter. Students considering part-time study should submit an electronic Undergraduate Petition for Unit/Fee Reduction form online.


The Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) at UCR is designed for undergraduate students who want to interrupt their regular education for one year or less while clarifying educational goals, gaining practical experiences away from campus, or in other ways enhancing the prospect of successful completion of an academic program. A student must have completed at least one quarter of course work at UCR and be in good academic standing (G.P.A. > 2.0) to qualify for PELP.  Students holding F-1 visas are unable to participate in this program. Information and forms for PELP are available in the CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center, the Counseling Center, and the Office of the Registrar.

The Planned University Leave Program (PULP) is designed for undergraduate students who plan to interrupt their education at UCR in order to study at another academic institution. A student must have completed at least three quarters of course work at UCR and be in good academic standing (G.P.A. > 2.0) to qualify for PULP.  International students are not eligible for the PULP.  Students interested in pursuing their education abroad should consult the International Education Center where forms are available. Information and forms for PULP are available in the CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center and the Office of the Registrar.

Petition to Challenge a Course

Petition to Challenge a Course Form

A student may petition for the privilege of examination for degree credit without formal enrollment in a particular course, but must be in residence and not on academic probation. Arrangements for examination for degree credit must be made with the student's faculty advisor. Approvals of the faculty advisor, CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center, and the instructor who is agreeing to give the examination are necessary before the examination may be given. The results of the examinations for degree credit are entered on the student's record as though the student has actually taken the courses of instruction.

Request for Summer Session Enrollment outside of UCR

Summer Session Enrollment Form

A Summer School Petition must be filed with the CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center if a student plans on enrolling in any math, science, or English course during the summer at any institution other than UCR. The petition must be approved by the advisor in the major department and the Divisional Dean of the CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center before the student enrolls in the course. If a student wishes to enroll in a breadth course at any institution other than UCR, then a Summer School Petition is not required. However, a student must verify that the course he/she wishes to enroll in at another institution is comparable to a course at UCR. The comparison can be found by visiting www.assist.org.

Withdraw from the Quarter

An undergraduate student who wishes to terminate work in the University during a current quarter, officially and without scholarship penalty, must initiate an application for withdrawal in the CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising Center. Also, the student must settle all accounts due and return any University property such as books, keys, laboratory equipment, and uniforms. After the first few weeks of the quarter, such petitions are granted only under exceptional circumstances. With the approval of the Divisional Dean, students may withdraw from the University at any time prior to the end of instruction.

A student who withdraws is no longer considered a continuing student. A student wishing to return to the University must apply for readmission at least six weeks prior to the beginning of the quarter of enrollment in order to be sure of registration without late fees.

Students who withdraw from the University without authorization may receive grades of "F" in all courses in which they are enrolled. Further, the Special Services Office is required to notify the Department of Veterans Affairs when any student fails, receives no credit, or withdraws from all subjects undertaken.

Office of the Registrar Forms

Enrollment Adjustment

To add a course, withdraw from a course, change the grading basis (S/NC) of a course, or adjust variable units of a course, you will need to submit an electronic Enrollment Adjustment Form online.

Students may add and drop courses on R'Web through the end of the second week of instruction. Enrollment Adjustment Forms are not accepted during this time. After the end of the second week of instruction, online Enrollment Adjustment Forms are used to make changes.

Students no longer need the instructor's signature to drop a course (through second week) or withdraw from a course (third through sixth weeks). An advisor's approval is needed to withdraw from a course.

Students now have an additional week-until the end of the sixth week of instruction-to withdraw from a course. When students drop a course after the second week of instruction, a "W" is entered on the transcript, indicating withdrawal from that course. Note that the "W" will now be used after the end of the second week of instruction, which is a week earlier than under the previous policy.

Unless otherwise indicated in the quarterly Schedule of Classes, students are not automatically dropped from courses for nonattendance and will receive grades in all courses in which they are enrolled, whether they attend or not. Please refer to individual course listings in the Schedule of Classes for specific information about drops for nonattendance. In most cases, students must drop the class using R'Web or submit an online Enrollment Adjustment Form to avoid an "F" grade.

Students may still change the grading basis of a course through the eighth week of instruction. Changes in grading basis can now be made on R'Web through the second week of instruction and online from the third through eighth week using the online Enrollment Adjustment Form.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

Advising Center Information

CNAS Undergraduate Academic Advising
1223 Pierce Hall

Regular office hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9:00am - 12:00pm & 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Wednesday: 10:00am- 12:00pm & 1:00pm - 4:00pm

Tel: (951) 827-7294 or (951) 827-3102
Fax: (951) 827-2243 or (951) 827-2798
E-mail: cnasstudent@ucr.edu